Working together, LeFlore County Officials and Architects In Partnership developed a plan to renovate and expand the existing County Courthouse, a building with significant historical value to the community. The approximately 100,000 square foot facility is comprised of a 190-bed detention center and sheriff’s office, as well as an expanded three story county office annex building.
The Courthouse annex includes a first floor lobby with a three story open atrium, allowing two full walls of natural light to illuminate the space. The original terrazzo floors remained in the renovated space and were also duplicated for the addition. A tribute logo celebrating the 80 year history of the building was inlayed into the terrazzo recognizing the new 2006 Courthouse, as well as the original 1926 structure. The annex houses numerous county offices including the County Commissioner, District Attorney, Clerks Office, a County Courtroom, and a Hear- ing Courtroom.
The design of the new County Courthouse succeeds in preserving the historical integrity of the original building, while providing the county with improved space for daily operations.